Ubuntu MATE for Ultra Mobile PCs
The Ubuntu MATE team offers a bespoke images for the GPD Pocket, GPD Pocket 2, GPD WIN 2, GPD MicroPC, GPD P2 Max, GPD WIN Max and Topjoy Falcon that include the hardware specific tweaks to get these devices working “out of the box” without any faffing about. Some models of the OneMix Yoga devices are also supported.
Ultra Mobile PCs (UMPC) have had something of a resurgence in recent years thanks to very successful crowd funding campaigns for netbook style laptops featuring a high resolution touch displays housed in an aluminium alloy body. These scripts for UMPC devices are based on the excellent work by Hans de Goede, nexus511, stockmind and many others.
Ubuntu MATE running on the GPD Pocket (left) and GPD Pocket 2 (right)
The Ubuntu MATE images for the UMPCs adds the following tweaks:
- Enable frame buffer and Xorg display rotation.
- Enable TearFree rendering by default.
- Enable touch screen rotation for Xorg and Wayland.
- Enable scroll wheel emulation for Xorg.
- While holding down the right track point button on the Pocket, Pocket 2 & Topjoy Falcon.
- While holding down the centre track point button on the MicroPC.
- Enable double size console (tty) font resolution.
- GRUB is usable post-install.
- GPD Pocket, WIN 2, MicroPC & TopJoy Falcon GRUB is rotated 90 degrees, but functional.
- GPD Pocket 2 and GPD P2 Max GRUB is correctly rotated and functional.
- GPD Pocket BRMC4356 WiFi firmware enabled by default.
- GPD Pocket fan control kernel module enable by default.
- GPD WIN Max feature a custom, persistent, EDID.
GPD Pocket, WIN 2, MicroPC, WIN Max and Topjoy Falcon
- The GRUB2 menu is rotated 90 degrees on the GPD Pocket, MicroPC and Topjoy Falcon.
- The workaround is to tilt your head.
- The built in speaker in the GPD Pocket is mono and doesn’t play audio from the right channel.
- The workaround is to use headphones connected the 3.5mm audio jack.
GPD Pocket 2
- The boot menu is not displayed in the GPD Pocket 2 live media.
- The workaround is to wait and the system will boot after a few seconds or press Enter to boot immediately.
- However, GRUB is fully functional and usable post-install.
GPD WIN 2, GPD WIN Max & Topjoy Falcon
- The Plymouth splash screen is not correctly orientated; and for the GPD WIN Max incorrectly coloured.
- The workaround is to not care.
Run Ubuntu MATE on your GPD hardware or Topjoy Falcon today!Download
How were these images created?
With a script called
umpc-ubuntu-respin.sh which you can find in the
following GitHub repository:
Accessing UMPC boot menus
GPD Pocket, GPD MicroPC, GPD P2 Max, OneMix Yoga 2
Switch the device on, immediately hold the Fn key and tap the F7 key until the Boot Manager screen appears.
GPD Win Max
Switch the device on, immediately hold the F7 key until the Boot Manager screen appears.
GPD Pocket 2 & Topjoy Falcon
Switch the device on, immediately hold the Fn key and tap the F12 key until the Boot Manager screen appears.
Accessing UMPC BIOS menus
GPD WIN 2
Switch the device on, when the GPD logo is displayed press Del to enter the BIOS, navigate to Save & Exit and choose the storage device you want to boot from under Boot Override
Switch the device on, immediately hold the Fn key and tap the F2 key until the BIOS appears.
These images for the GPD and Topjoy devices are community supported, please post all feedback via the community forum.