Ubuntu MATE for Ultra Mobile PCs
The Ubuntu MATE team offers a bespoke images for the GPD Pocket, GPD Pocket 2, GPD Pocket 3, GPD WIN 2, GPD MicroPC, GPD P2 Max, GPD WIN Max and Topjoy Falcon that include the hardware specific tweaks to get these devices working “out of the box” without any faffing about. Some models of the OneMix Yoga devices are also supported.
Ultra Mobile PCs (UMPC) have had something of a resurgence in recent years thanks to very successful crowd funding campaigns for netbook style laptops featuring a high resolution touch displays housed in an aluminium alloy body. These scripts for UMPC devices are based on the excellent work by Hans de Goede, nexus511, stockmind and many others.
Ubuntu MATE running on the GPD Pocket (left) and GPD Pocket 2 (right)
The Ubuntu MATE images for the UMPCs adds the following tweaks:
- Enable frame buffer and Xorg display rotation.
- Enable TearFree rendering by default.
- Enable touch screen rotation for Xorg and Wayland.
- Enable scroll wheel emulation for Xorg.
- While holding down the right track point button on the Pocket, Pocket 2 & Topjoy Falcon.
- While holding down the centre track point button on the MicroPC & Pocket 3.
- Enable double size console (tty) font resolution for high resolution devices.
- Enable fractional scaling for 1920x1200 displays.
- Results in an effective resolution of 1280x800 to make the display panels easily readable.
- Simple to toggle on/off if you want to restore full resolution.
- GRUB is usable post-install.
- GPD Pocket, WIN 2, MicroPC & TopJoy Falcon GRUB is rotated 90 degrees, but functional.
- GPD Pocket 2 and GPD P2 Max GRUB is correctly rotated and functional.
- GPD Pocket BRMC4356 WiFi firmware enabled by default.
- GPD Pocket fan control kernel module enabled by default.
- GPD Pocket 3 & TopJoy Falcon accelerometer support for automatic screen rotation.
- GPD WIN Max features a custom, persistent, EDID.
GPD Pocket, GPD Pocket 3, WIN 2, MicroPC, WIN Max and Topjoy Falcon
- The GRUB menu is rotated 90 degrees on the GPD Pocket, MicroPC and Topjoy Falcon.
- The workaround is to tilt your head.
- The built in speaker in the GPD Pocket is mono and doesn’t play audio from the right channel.
- The workaround is to use headphones connected the 3.5mm audio jack.
GPD Pocket 2
- The boot menu is not displayed in the GPD Pocket 2 live media.
- The workaround is to wait and the system will boot after a few seconds or press Enter to boot immediately.
- However, GRUB is fully functional and usable post-install.
GPD Pocket 3
- When a HDMI display is connected, the touch coordinates on the internal display are incorrect.
GPD Pocket 3, GPD WIN 2, GPD WIN Max & Topjoy Falcon
- The Plymouth splash screen is not correctly orientated; and for the GPD WIN Max incorrectly coloured.
- The workaround is to not care.
Run Ubuntu MATE on your GPD hardware or Topjoy Falcon today!Download
How were these images created?
With a script called
umpc-ubuntu-respin.sh which you can find in the
following GitHub repository:
Accessing boot menus & BIOS
Switch the device on, immediately hold/tap the corresponding key(s).
|GPD Pocket 2||
|GPD Pocket 3||
|GPD WIN 2(!)||
|GPD P2 Max||
|GPD WIN Max||
|OneMix Yoga 2||
- GPD WIN 2(!): Navigate to Save & Exit and choose the storage device you want to boot from under Boot Override
These images for the GPD and Topjoy devices are community supported, please post all feedback via the community forum.