Ubuntu MATE 15.10 Alpha 1
We are preparing Ubuntu MATE Wily Werewolf (15.10) for distribution on October 22nd, 2015 With this Alpha 1 pre-release, you can see what we are trying out in preparation for our next (stable) version.
People tell us that Ubuntu MATE is stable. You may, or may not, agree.
Ubuntu MATE Alpha Releases are NOT recommended for:
- Regular users who are not aware of pre-release issues
- Anyone who needs a stable system
- Anyone uncomfortable running a possibly frequently broken system
- Anyone in a production environment with data or workflows that need to be reliable
Ubuntu MATE Alpha Releases are recommended for:
- Regular users who want to help us test by finding, reporting, and/or fixing bugs
- Ubuntu MATE, MATE, and GTK+ developers
What changed since the Ubuntu MATE 15.04 release?
Here what changed in Ubuntu MATE 15.10 Alpha 1 since Ubuntu MATE 15.04.
- Added community contributed wallpapers by David Chadderton from Webspresso.
- Added a community contributed wallpaper by Rohith Madhavan.
- Added TLP for improved laptop battery endurance.
- Added inxi
- Added MATE specific defaults for Plank. (Only activated if a Plank configuration is not already present)
- Added custom menu entries for LibreOffice Draw/Math, Tilda and some control center applets to correct categorisation and reduce clutter.
gvfs-fuseto fix media playback over Samba networks using VLC.
pulseaudio-module-bluetoothto help improve Bluetooth A2DP support.
- Added MATE support to
xdg-utils. LP: #1001902.
- Updated MATE Tweak to 3.4.9.
- Added button to save panel layouts.
- Added button to reset Compiz settings to “factory” defaults.
- Added support for Metacity and Mutter window managers.
- Added support Maximus.
- Added support for Netbook layouts.
- Added notifications for window manager switching and layout saving.
- Improved layout and window manager switching. No longer exit when switching between window managers.
- Updated UI to remove/replace deprecated methods.
- Updated translations.
- Renamed Eleven layouts to Cupertino.
- Updated the Ambiant-MATE and Radiant-MATE themes so that GTK3 application that use Header Bars now have traditional window decorations.
- Updated key bindings for MATE, Marco and Compiz so they are broadly consistent and mostly the same as Unity.
- Updated the
ubuntu-mate-desktoptasks/meta-packages so a basic Ubuntu MATE system can be installed from the
mini.isousing just the
- Updated default application handlers.
.debfiles are now handled by
apt://URLs are now handled by
- DVD, VideoCD and SuperVCD discs are handled by VLC.
apt-xapian-indexto only install on i386 and amd64 due to performance and I/O overhead for ARM and PowerPC.
- Updated Compiz profile for MATE to prevent Tilda appearing in application switchers.
- Updated the default settings so that Ambiant-MATE is once again the default theme.
ubuntu-mate-lightdm-themesto support the new version LightDM GTK Greeter.
python3-aptdaemon.pkcompatto reduce memory foot print.
- Improved support for iOS devices.
- Fixed tool tips in Wine when running Compiz. LP: #957879
- Fixed incorrect colours in Ambiant-MATE and Radiant-MATE for some GTK3 applications. LP: #1437690
- Fixed Compiz thumbnails. LP: #1437611
- Fixed Trash in the live session. LP: #1445622
Ubuntu MATE 15.10 Download
Join the fun and experience a retrospective future.Download
Here are the known issues.
cryptsetuppassword prompt may not be shown.
- Shutdown/Restart of the live session does not work in Virtualbox guest.
- Running Linux on PowerPC can require some tinkering and the following are useful references.
You’ll also want to check the Ubuntu MATE bug tracker to see what has already been reported. These issues will be addressed in due course.
Is there anything you can help with or want to be involved in? Maybe you just want to discuss your experiences or ask the maintainers some questions. Please come and talk to us.
The comment section for this old article has been closed. There were no comments. :(