We are getting a lot of requests for Ubuntu MATE 14.04 .iso images but we won’t be in a position to make them until after Ubuntu MATE 14.10 is released. So, as an interim measure here are some instructions for creating your own Ubuntu MATE 14.04 from scratch.
The basic steps are:
- Install Ubuntu from a netboot .iso
- Add the Ubuntu MATE PPAs
- Install the required packages
- Tweak the configuration
Download Ubuntu 14.04 netboot .iso image
Visit the URL below and download either the i386 or amd64
Burn the .iso to CD or
dd it to a USB stick.
mini.isois handy, there are some limitations.
- It can’t boot or install UEFI computers that you want to run in UEFI mode because it lacks the required files for booting the computer in UEFI mode. Therefore, if you have a UEFI computer you need to enable “Legacy BIOS Mode”.
- If you have a wireless card that requires firmware or a proprietary driver then you will have to connect via ethernet cable to complete the initial installation.
Install a minimal Ubuntu 14.04
mini.iso is straight forward, here is an overview of what
Installby pressing ENTER.
- Select your language.
- Select your location.
- Configure your keyboard layout.
- Enter the hostname for the computer.
- Choose a mirror location for the Ubuntu archive.
- Configure the HTTP proxy to use (if required).
- Create your user account.
- Decide if you want your home directory encrypted or not.
- Select your time zone.
- Partition the disk(s).
The base system packages will now be downloaded and installed, this is a good time for a cup of tea. Or, if your Internet connection is like mine, then it is time for a pot of tea while you bake a cake.
- Select your preferred update management policy.
- When the ‘Software selection’ menu is displayed make sure nothing is selected
- Install the GRUB boot loader.
As Jon notes in the comments, when using
mini.iso from a USB stick the installer often sees the
/dev/sda and the disk you are installing to as
/dev/sdb. This is apparent during the
When it’s time for the installer to write the bootloader to a drive, it defaults to
/dev/sda is the USB stick, bad things will happen. So, select the No option that’s offered
at that point and manually identify where the bootloader should actually go, very likely
- Set the system time to UTC or local time.
The minimal Ubuntu installation is complete, choose
<Continue> to reboot.
Login using the user account you created earlier. A few packages need to be installed so that the Ubuntu MATE PPAs can be added easily.
sudo apt-get install python-software-properties software-properties-common
Add the Ubuntu MATE PPAs
Now add the Ubuntu MATE PPAs.
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-mate-dev/ppa sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-mate-dev/trusty-mate sudo apt-get update
Install Ubuntu MATE
Execute the following to install Ubuntu MATE.
sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends ubuntu-mate-core ubuntu-mate-desktop linux-firmware-nonfree
Remember that cake you baked earlier? Now is a good time to eat it.
When the install is complete some post-install configuration is required.
mini.iso install a user account was created, which is
missing a couple of files that make Network Manager work and
correct the default icons for LibreOffice. Therefore these Ubuntu MATE
configuration files need to be manually overlayed.
rsync -av /etc/skel/.config/ ~/.config/ rsync -av /etc/skel/.local/ ~/.local/
This last tweak is required to get NetworkManager fully working. Edit
/etc/network/interfaces to remove any extra lines so that it looks
exactly like this:
# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5). # The loopback network interface auto lo iface lo inet loopback
Audio and Video Codecs?
If you’d like some additional audio/video codecs and Adobe Flash then install the following package.
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-addons
If you are doing this in a Virtualbox guest then you’ll want to install these additional packages.
sudo apt-get install virtualbox-guest-x11 virtualbox-guest-dkms
You can now reboot into your shiny new Ubuntu MATE 14.04.
La section des commentaires pour ce vieil article a été fermée. Il n'y avait aucun commentaire. :(