We are preparing Ubuntu MATE Xenial Xerus (16.04) for distribution on April 21st, 2016 With this Beta 1 pre-release, you can see what we are trying out in preparation for our next (stable) version.
People tell us that Ubuntu MATE is stable. You may, or may not, agree.
Ubuntu MATE Beta Releases are NOT recommended for:
- Regular users who are not aware of pre-release issues
- Anyone who needs a stable system
- Anyone uncomfortable running a possibly frequently broken system
- Anyone in a production environment with data or workflows that need to be reliable
Ubuntu MATE Beta Releases are recommended for:
- Regular users who want to help us test by finding, reporting, and/or fixing bugs
- Ubuntu MATE, MATE, and GTK+ developers
What changed since the Ubuntu MATE 16.04 Alpha 2 release?
First of all, I’d like to extend my thanks to:
- Luke Horwell for introducing dynamic generation of the Software Boutique in Ubuntu MATE Welcome and generally improving the design and function of Ubuntu MATE Welcome.
- Robin Thompson for adding a translation framework to Ubuntu MATE Welcome. We are finalsing the translation tooling and will be asking for translators to help us from next week.
Mike Gabriel for packaging
mate-dock-applet) into the
libwnckpackages for Debian.
Iain Lane for mentoring Martin Wimpress so the
libwnckpackage updates in Debian could be synced to Ubuntu.
- Timo Jyrinki and Daniel Holbach for sponsoring critical package updates for Ubuntu MATE.
- Ghost Sixtyseven for creating a fantastic new Ubuntu MATE desktop wallpaper called “A Dawn Gift”.
Thanks to everyone else from the Ubuntu MATE community who contributed to this release!
Here is what changed in Ubuntu MATE 16.04 Beta 1 since Alpha 2.
- Ubuntu MATE Welcome 16.04.3
- Added the Software Boutique which now contains ~120 applications.
- Added the ability to launch applications from the Software Boutique.
- Added category filtering to the Software Boutique.
- Added expandable/collapsible More Details for each application listed in the Software Boutqiue.
- Added screenshots for applications listed in the Software Boutique.
- Added subscribe to updates for Ubuntu MATE Welcome to ensure you always have the latest version of Ubuntu MATE Welcome and Software Boutique, including new application listings and translations.
- Added highlighting of installed applications listed in the Software Boutique.
- Added a spinner while applications are being installed using the Software Boutique.
- Added Raspberry Pi 2 specific features and documentation, including automatic partition resizing.
- Fixed the toggling of Proprietary software in the Software Boutique.
- Improved the Software Boutique by always showing software categories at the top of the window.
- Assorted bug fixes and improvements.
- Updated MATE Desktop 1.12.1
- MATE Desktop CPU resource requirements have been reduced across the board.
Updated Caja to 1.12.4
- Fixes a segfault on start-up.
- Fixes a segfault when the
python-cajaextension is enabled.
- Fixes a segfault when restoring files that have special characters in their name from the Trash.
- Fixes a some memory leaks.
Updated Pluma to 1.12.2
- Fix missing icon in the Python console plugin list.
- Fix possible
use-after-freein incremental searches.
Updated Eye of MATE to 1.12.2
- Fixes a integer overflow when allocating a large block of memory during a Print Preview.
- Assorted minor fixes and optimisations.
- Added MATE Dock Applet 0.67 developed by Robin Thompson.
- A configurable dock applet that can be placed on any panel, in any orientation.
- Added Topmenu Applet 0.2.1 developed by Javier S. Pedro
- A Gtk+ module that allows placing a global menu in MATE panel applets.
- The Ubuntu MATE team also added
xfce4-topmenu-pluginto the Debian and Ubuntu archives so those desktops can benefit too.
- Ubuntu MATE Settings 16.04.2
- Added Mutiny panel layout which showcases
- The traditional GNOME2 style two panel layout is, and will continue to be, the default.
- Added Mutiny panel layout which showcases
- Updated Ubuntu MATE Artwork to 16.04.2
- Added community contributed wallpaper from Ghost Sixtyseven
Download Ubuntu MATE 16.04
Join the fun and experience a retrospective future.Download
Here are the known issues.
Ubuntu family issues
This is our known list of bugs that affect all flavours.
- Cryptsetup password prompt is not shown.
- Plymouth does not display the graphical boot splash.
- Shutdown/Restart of the live session does not work in Virtualbox and VMWare guests.
- The input box for editing a Wired connection static IP address doesn’t appear correctly.
- Swap partition may fail to be created when installing on a disk with existing partitions.
Ubuntu MATE issues
This is our known list of bugs that jut affect Ubuntu MATE.
- System Information in Ubuntu MATE Welcome displays “No Information Available”.
- Activating a Compton composited Window Manager in Virtualbox, without installing Guest Additions drivers, will lock up the desktop.
- VirtualBox drivers can be installed via Ubuntu MATE Welcome in the Getting Started section.
The issues outlined above will be resolved via updates.
- Running Linux on PowerPC can require some tinkering and the following are useful references.
You’ll also want to check the Ubuntu MATE bug tracker to see what has already been reported. These issues will be addressed in due course.
Is there anything you can help with or want to be involved in? Maybe you just want to discuss your experiences or ask the maintainers some questions. Please come and talk to us.