Ubuntu MATE is a stable, easy-to-use operating system with a configurable desktop environment. It is ideal for those who want the most out of their computers and prefer a traditional desktop metaphor. With modest hardware requirements it is suitable for modern workstations, single board computers and older hardware alike. Ubuntu MATE makes modern computers fast and old computers usable.
But what does that all mean?
We have created a page that tries to break down what exactly Ubuntu MATE is in easy to understand language. Have a read.What is Ubuntu MATE?
Ubuntu MATE has a number of guiding objectives and goals.
- Accessible to all, regardless of language and physical ability.
- Increase both Ubuntu and MATE Desktop user adoption.
- Ubuntu alternative for computers that aren’t powerful enough to run a composited desktop.
- First choice Ubuntu platform for remote workstation solutions such as LTSP and X2Go.
- Recreate the halcyon days of Ubuntu for users who prefer a traditional desktop metaphor.
- Use themes and artwork similar to Ubuntu so that Ubuntu MATE is immediately familiar.
- When possible contribute to Debian so both the Debian and Ubuntu communities benefit.
- Software selection will favour functionality and stability over lightness and whimsy.
Frequently asked questions
There are some questions we are asked frequently so we’ve compiled a list of answers to the most common ones.FAQ