The GPD Pockets were very successful crowd funded netbook style laptops featuring a high resolution 7” touch display housed in an aluminium alloy body. The original GPD Pocket (2017) offered an Ubuntu pre-load option while the GPD Pocket 2 (2018) is available with Windows 10 only. The pre-configured images of Ubuntu MATE for the GPD Pockets is a continuation of the excellent work by Hans de Goede, nexus511, stockmind and many others.
Ubuntu MATE 18.10 running on the GPD Pocket (left) and GPD Pocket 2 (right)
The Ubuntu MATE images for the GPD Pocket and GPD Pocket 2 adds the following tweaks:
- Enable frame buffer and Xorg display rotation.
- Enable TearFree rendering by default.
- Enable touch screen rotation for Xorg and Wayland.
- Enabled an emulated mouse scroll wheel.
- Activated by holding down the right trackpoint button and moving the trackpoint up/down.
- Enable double size console (tty) font resolution.
- Enable resolution scaling for 1920x1200 displays. (MATE Desktop only)
- Results in an effective resolution of 1280x800 to make the 7” panel easily readable.
- Simple to disable if you want to full resolution.
GRUB is usable post-install.
- GPD Pocket GRUB is rotated 90 degress, but functional.
- GPD Pocket 2 GRUB is correctly rotated and functional.
- GPD Pocket BRMC4356 WiFi firmware enabled by default.
- GPD Pocket fan control kernel module enable by default.
- The GRUB2 menu is rotated 90 degress on the GPD Pocket.
- The workaround is to tilt your head.
- The built in speaker in the GPD Pocket is mono and doesn’t play audio from the right channel.
- The workaround is two use headphones connected the 3.5mm audio jack.
GPD Pocket 2
- The boot menu is not displayed in the GPD Pocket 2 live media.
- The workaround is to wait and the system will boot after a few seconds or press Enter to boot immeditately.
- However, GRUB is fully functional and usable post-install.
GPD Pocket & GPD Pocket 2
- The Plymouth splash screen is not rotated on the GPD Pocket or GPD Pocket 2.
- The workaround is to not care.
Run Ubuntu MATE on your GPD Pocket or GPD Pocket 2 today!Download Ubuntu MATE
Disable desktop session scaling
If you want to restore the full native resolution of display then open Startup Applications from the Control Center. Find the entry called GPD Pocket Display Scaler in the Startup Programs tab and untick it. Log out and back in and the full 1920x1200 resolution is restored.
Disable GPD Pocket Display Scaler via Startup Applications Preferences
How were these images created?
With a script called
gpd-pocket-ubuntu-respin.sh which you can find in the
following GitHub repository:
Accessing GPD boot menus
Switch the GPD Pocket on, immediately hold the Fn key and tapping the F7 key until the Boot Manager screen appears.
GPD Pocket 2
Switch the GPD Pocket 2 on, immediately hold the Fn key and tapping the F12 key until the Boot Manager screen appears.
These images for the GPD Pocket and GPD Pocket 2 are community supported, please post all feedback via the community forum.