Many thanks to everyone who donated to the Ubuntu MATE community this month. You have been generous as always and ensured that we can meet all the costs associated with running the Ubuntu MATE project and the community site. In fact, this month we are able to reward some other projects that Ubuntu MATE benefits from.
How will these donations be spent?
These donations will be used to pay for:
- All Ubuntu MATE hosting and development server costs for August 2015.
- All the Ubuntu MATE CDN, bandwidth and email charges for August 2015.
- Donated $198 to Debian developer and package maintainer for MATE.
- Donated €50 to OpenBSD.
- Donated $50 to VLC.
- This months donations to other Open Source projects brings our running total to approximately $1869 (taking into account currency variations)
Although Ubuntu MATE 15.04 onward is an official member of the Ubuntu family, and new Ubuntu MATE releases are now distributed via the Canonical mirror network, we are serving ~500 downloads per day for Ubuntu MATE 14.04 and another ~1100 downloads per day for Ubuntu MATE for the Raspberry Pi 2.
Given that we have committed to support Ubuntu MATE 14.04 until 2019 these donations are much appreciated and help cover the bandwidth costs and fund the development servers we need to prepare new .iso images for Ubuntu MATE 14.04.
Supporting Open Source Projects
Ubuntu MATE is comprised of many Open Source projects, we recognise that. Each month that Ubuntu MATE has a surplus of funds we will make a contribution to an Open Source project that Ubuntu MATE directly benefits from.
OpenBSD is the funding framework for a number of projects, including OpenSSH. OpenSSH is an essential tool, one that many people depend upon and is used extensively to manage the Ubuntu MATE infrastructure.
VLC is the ubiquitous audio and video player and swiss army knife for all manner of audio and video wrangling, not just on Linux but those lesser known proprietary operating systems too. Switching to VLC was overwhlemingly supported by the Ubuntu MATE community, so we know you love it too.
Donations to MATE Desktop
Those of you who have downloaded Ubuntu MATE from this website will have noticed the Download Tip we place on the page. We’ve made it clear that those tips are shared between the Ubuntu MATE and MATE Desktop projects.
This month we’ve donated directly to one of the Debian developers.
- $198 to Debian developer and package maintainer for MATE.
We have setup a number of payment options that should hopefully suit everyone. If you haven’t already, be brilliant, help grow our community.
Grow your community
Become a full Ubuntu MATE community member by helping to grow and sustain it. Warm and fuzzy sensations guaranteed.Donate
Many thanks to the Ubuntu MATE patrons who collectively donated $431.0 this month.
Summary of PayPal donations
- A total of $1040.5 was donated via PayPal, which after processing fees amounted to $936.2, of which $790.67 was received as Download Tips.
- A total of €43.0 was donated via PayPal, which after processing fees amounted to €38.37.
- A total of £54.0 was donated via PayPal, which after processing fees amounted to £50.66.