We are completely overwhelmed with the generostiy you’ve shown the Ubuntu MATE project following the 16.04 LTS release. It is humbling indeed!
Many thanks to everyone who donated to the Ubuntu MATE project this month. You have been generous as always and ensured that we can meet all the costs associated with running the Ubuntu MATE project and the community site. In fact, this month we are able to reward some developers for working on Ubuntu MATE projects.
How will these donations be spent?
These donations will be used to pay for:
- All Ubuntu MATE hosting and server costs for April 2016.
- All the Ubuntu MATE CDN, bandwidth and email charges for April 2016.
- Spent £62.90 on 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Mobel B for development and testing.
- Spent £52.00 on 20x 4GB USB 2.0 memory sticks and 10x 2GB USB 2.0 memory sticks
- These were flashed with Ubuntu MATE 16.04 (amd64 and i386) and handed out to visitors to the 11th Egham Raspberry Jam.
- Donated €690 (taking into account currency variations) to 4 Open Source developers working on Ubuntu MATE and MATE Desktop projects.
- This brings Ubuntu MATEs total donations to other Open Source projects and developers to approximately $5310.90 (taking into account currency variations).
- We will be reviewing how we can put the surplus of donations from April to good use and expand our contributor rewards to fund some additional development activities.
Although Ubuntu MATE 15.04 onward is an official member of the Ubuntu family, and new Ubuntu MATE releases are now distributed via the Canonical mirror network, we are serving ~2000 downloads per day for Ubuntu MATE for the Raspberry Pi 2 and Raspberry Pi 3 and another ~170 downloads per day for Ubuntu MATE 14.04.
Supporting Open Source
Ubuntu MATE is comprised of many Open Source projects, we recognise that. Each month that Ubuntu MATE has a surplus of funds we will make a contribution to an Open Source project or developer that Ubuntu MATE directly benefits from.
For April 2016 Ubuntu MATE have donated to several Open Source developers who’ve worked on Ubuntu MATE or MATE Desktop projects.
- Developer of (Ubuntu MATE) - £150 for developing Ubuntu MATE Welcome and updating the Ubuntu MATE website.
- Developer of (Fedora) - €150 for porting MATE Desktop to GTK3 and preparing MATE 1.14 for release.
- Developer of (Linux Mint) - €150 for porting MATE Desktop to GTK3 and preparing MATE 1.14 for release.
- Developer of (Debian) €150 for packaging MATE Desktop in Debian.
- Developer of (Debian) - €100 for packaging for packaging MATE Desktop in Debian.
Thank you to everyone who has donated, you are really making a difference to the development of Ubuntu MATE and the MATE Desktop.
We have setup a number of payment options that should hopefully suit everyone. If you haven’t already, be brilliant, help grow our community.
Grow your community
Become a full Ubuntu MATE community member by helping to grow and sustain it. Warm and fuzzy sensations guaranteed.Donate
Many thanks to the Ubuntu MATE patrons who collectively donated $947.5 this month.
- A total of $3814.65 was donated via PayPal, which after processing fees amounted to $3473.43, of which $2795.69 was received as Download Tips.
- A total of €411.5 was donated via PayPal, which after processing fees amounted to €385.63.
- A total of £85.0 was donated via PayPal, which after processing fees amounted to £80.31.
- A total of 0.110557349 BTC was donated.